PREPARATION TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME:15 mins
Fregola (or Fregula) is a speciality from Sardinia: pasta that has been rolled into little balls and then toasted to give it an extra nutty flavour. Commonly eaten with seafood, we think it’s works well with proper Italian sausages.
Fregola with Italian Sausages
- 1 onion
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed using the side of a knife
- 100g fresh Italian sausages
- 1 red chilli pepper, chopped
- 500-600ml hot vegetable stock (approx)
- 200g Fregola Tostata
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 100g Pecorino Sardo, grated
- Salt and pepper
Finely chop the onion, remove the sausage skins and crumble them into pieces.
Heat the oil in a wide, non-stick frying pan and gently fry the onion and whole garlic clove over a low heat for a few minutes.
Add the sausage meat along with the chopped chilli pepper and cook for a few minutes more. Season with salt and pepper and remove the garlic clove.
Pour in the Fregola and mix it well into the other ingredients in the pan.
Cover the mixture with the vegetable stock, bring to the boil then lower the heat, cover with a lid and leave to cook for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Check for seasoning.
Once cooked, stir in the chopped parsley and sprinkle over the grated Pecorino. Serve immediately.